St Johns, Johnsonville and Holy Trinity, Ohariu
St John’s Church was first built on land given by the Hawtrey family. The first church was opened in July 1847. The current church is the fifth to be built on this site, after the first 3 were burned down and the 4th demolished. The present church was built in 1922 and extended in 1972. In 1997 we held the 150th anniversary celebrations of St John’s. In earlier years the Parish extended from Karori to Pauatahanui. Only one daughter church remains in the present parish – Holy Trinity, Ohariu Valley. This little church built in 1870 is significant in that it is one of the earliest churches in the Wellington Diocese still being used regularly for worship.
“Landmark of Faith” provides a fuller history of the parish. It was published in 1997 to mark the 150th anniversary and updates an original short history written in 1972 for the 125th anniversary.
The book is available on the Internet Archive in pdf, kindle, mobi and epub formats.
You can also download the pdf directly here: